RE: USB Mass Storage + Ethernet Composite Gadget problems

Hello,

On Friday, July 03, 2009 4:01 PM Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> >> Do you have the real Palm Pre and what is the Windows driver for it?
> >
> > Unfortunately no - we don't have real Palm and original Windows drivers for it.
> > We only adapted Palm open source kernel usb gadget driver for our ARM S3C6410
> > based platform and we are trying to get it working with Windows host.
>
> Hmm, you should at least get the driver packages of Palm Pre and try that.
>
> Anyway, could you post the inf file you are using for the RNDIS part?
> You may need slightly different inf file for the rndis part when it is
> part of the composite device than when it is a single interface RNDIS
> device.

I just did one more experiment. I've selected to install the driver manually in
Windows wizard and I seleted the standard linux.inf for Linux RNDIS Ethernet gadget
(from Documentation/usb/linux.inf, we used it earlier for the standard g_ether usb
gadget module in RNDIS mode, it is available for example here:
http://beagleboard.googlecode.com/files/linux.inf ).

I was really surprised, the driver installed correctly and RNDIS connection started
working! So the real problem is to create a proper .inf for Windows (that linux.inf
was not recognised automatically).

> From what I read, there are three mode for the Palm Pre USB. One is
> the "USB drive mode", the other is the USB charger mode, the last one
> is the media sync mode (iPod clone mode). Do you implement all three
> modes? If yes, does any of the three mode work?

Modes of operation of the Palm Pre gadget drivers are selected by changing a product
id. We added another case (0x0102) in that switch, where we registered only rndis
and mass storage functions. We loaded that gadget driver with our (0x0102) product id.

> >> You may want to check that out. Are they using the USB RNDIS driver
> >> or custom driver?
> > They are using standard RNDIS driver, it is well detected under Linux and
> > works there fine with 'rndis_host' driver.
> I am actually not so sure about it. How do you know that it is using the
> RNDIS driver if you do not have the INF file from Palm Pre?

We know that it was rndis, because it uses rndis function driver in Linux device code.

> By the way, I do not know anything about the Linux Gadget driver. I just
> know a little bit about USB under Linux and Windows. So you may want
> to post more details about your adaptation so that the real USB experts
> here like David and Alan can help you.

Ok. We try to will provide more detailed information.

Best regards
--
Marek Szyprowski
Samsung Poland R&D Center