Re: [RFC 00/48] perf tools: Introduce data type profiling (v1)

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 10:51:41PM -0700, Namhyung Kim wrote:

> > > Right, I think dealing with regular samples would be more useful.
> >
> > My code supported samples too, but only through perf script, not report.
> >
> > See
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-misc.git/commit/?h=perf/var-resolve-7&id=4775664750a6296acb732b7adfa224c6a06a126f
> >
> > for an example.
> >
> > My take was that i wasn't sure that perf report is the right interface
> > to visualize the variables changing -- to be really usable you probably
> > need some plots and likely something like an UI.
>
> I see.  Your concern is to see how variables are changing.
> But it seems you only displayed constant values.

Yes the examples were not very good, but that was the intention.
Values can be much more powerful than only types!

For PT I also had special compiler patch that added suitable ptwrites
(see [1]) that allowed to track any variable.

-Andi

[1] https://github.com/andikleen/gcc-old-svn/tree/ptwrite-18