Re: [RFC 00/48] perf tools: Introduce data type profiling (v1)

Namhyung Kim <namhyung@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm happy to share my work on data type profiling.  This is to associate
> PMU samples to data types they refer using DWARF debug information.  So
> basically it depends on quality of PMU events and compiler for producing
> DWARF info.  But it doesn't require any changes in the target program.
>
> As it's an early stage, I've targeted the kernel on x86 to reduce the
> amount of work but IIUC there's no fundamental blocker to apply it to
> other architectures and applications.

FWIW i posted a similar patchkit a long time ago

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20171128002321.2878-13-andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

It was on my list to resurrect that, it's great that you are doing
something similar.

The latest iteration (not posted) was here:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-misc.git/log/?h=perf/var-resolve-7

The main difference seems to be that mine was more for perf script
(e.g. i supported PT decoding), while you are more focused on sampling.
I relied on the kprobes/uprobes engine, which unfortunately was always
quite slow and had many limitations.

Perhaps it would be possible merge the useful parts of the two approaches?

-Andi