Re: [RFC 00/48] perf tools: Introduce data type profiling (v1)

> > The main difference seems to be that mine was more for perf script
> > (e.g. i supported PT decoding), while you are more focused on sampling.
> > I relied on the kprobes/uprobes engine, which unfortunately was always
> > quite slow and had many limitations.
>
> Right, I think dealing with regular samples would be more useful.

My code supported samples too, but only through perf script, not report.

See

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-misc.git/commit/?h=perf/var-resolve-7&id=4775664750a6296acb732b7adfa224c6a06a126f

for an example.

My take was that i wasn't sure that perf report is the right interface
to visualize the variables changing -- to be really usable you probably
need some plots and likely something like an UI.

For you I think you focus more on the types than the individual
variables? That's a slightly different approach.

But then my engine had a lot of limitations, i suppose redoing that on
top of yours would give better results.

-Andi