Re: [RFC 00/48] perf tools: Introduce data type profiling (v1)

On 10/11/23 11:50 PM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> [...]
>   perf annotate-data: Parse 'lock' prefix from llvm-objdump
>   perf annotate-data: Handle macro fusion on x86
>   perf annotate-data: Handle array style accesses
>   perf annotate-data: Add stack operation pseudo type
>   perf dwarf-aux: Add die_find_variable_by_addr()
>   perf annotate-data: Handle PC-relative addressing
>   perf annotate-data: Support global variables
>   perf dwarf-aux: Add die_get_cfa()
>   perf annotate-data: Support stack variables
>   perf dwarf-aux: Check allowed DWARF Ops
>   perf dwarf-aux: Add die_collect_vars()
>   perf dwarf-aux: Handle type transfer for memory access
>   perf annotate-data: Introduce struct data_loc_info
>   perf map: Add map__objdump_2rip()
>   perf annotate: Add annotate_get_basic_blocks()
>   perf annotate-data: Maintain variable type info
>   perf annotate-data: Add update_insn_state()
>   perf annotate-data: Handle global variable access
>   perf annotate-data: Handle call instructions
>   perf annotate-data: Implement instruction tracking
>   perf annotate: Parse x86 segment register location
>   perf annotate-data: Handle this-cpu variables in kernel
>   perf annotate-data: Track instructions with a this-cpu variable
>   perf annotate-data: Add stack canary type
>   perf annotate-data: Add debug message
>
>  tools/perf/Documentation/perf-report.txt      |    3 +
>  .../arch/loongarch/annotate/instructions.c    |    6 +-
>  tools/perf/arch/x86/util/dwarf-regs.c         |   38 +
>  tools/perf/builtin-annotate.c                 |  149 +-
>  tools/perf/builtin-report.c                   |   19 +-
>  tools/perf/util/Build                         |    2 +
>  tools/perf/util/annotate-data.c               | 1246 +++++++++++++++++
>  tools/perf/util/annotate-data.h               |  222 +++
>  tools/perf/util/annotate.c                    |  763 +++++++++-
>  tools/perf/util/annotate.h                    |  104 +-
>  tools/perf/util/debuginfo.c                   |  205 +++
>  tools/perf/util/debuginfo.h                   |   64 +
>  tools/perf/util/dso.c                         |    4 +
>  tools/perf/util/dso.h                         |    2 +
>  tools/perf/util/dwarf-aux.c                   |  561 +++++++-
>  tools/perf/util/dwarf-aux.h                   |   86 +-
>  tools/perf/util/dwarf-regs.c                  |   33 +
>  tools/perf/util/hist.h                        |    3 +
>  tools/perf/util/include/dwarf-regs.h          |   11 +
>  tools/perf/util/map.c                         |   20 +
>  tools/perf/util/map.h                         |    3 +
>  tools/perf/util/probe-finder.c                |  193 +--
>  tools/perf/util/probe-finder.h                |   19 +-
>  tools/perf/util/sort.c                        |  195 ++-
>  tools/perf/util/sort.h                        |    7 +
>  tools/perf/util/symbol_conf.h                 |    4 +-
>  create mode 100644 tools/perf/util/annotate-data.c
>  create mode 100644 tools/perf/util/annotate-data.h
>  create mode 100644 tools/perf/util/debuginfo.c
>  create mode 100644 tools/perf/util/debuginfo.h
>

> base-commit: 87cd3d48191e533cd9c224f2da1d78b3513daf47

Hi Namhyung:

I've been playing with your datatype profile patch and it looks really promising.
I think it would be a big help if it could be integrated into perf c2c.

Perf c2c gives a great insight into what's contributing to cpu cacheline contention, but it
can be difficult to understand the output.  Having visuals with your datatype profile output
would be a big help.

I have a simple test program with readers and writers tugging on the data below:

  uint64_t hotVar;
  typedef struct __foo {
     uint64_t m1;
     uint64_t m2;
     uint64_t m3;
  } FOO;

The rest of this reply looks at both your datatype output and c2c to see where they
might compliment each other.

When I run perf with your patches on a simple program to cause contention on the above data, I get the following:

# perf mem record --ldlat=1 --all-user --  ./tugtest -r3 -r5 -r7 -r9 -r11 -w10 -w12 -w14 -w16 -b5 -H2000000
# perf report -s type,typeoff --hierarchy --stdio

   # Samples: 26K of event 'cpu/mem-loads,ldlat=1/P'
   # Event count (approx.): 2958226
   #
   #    Overhead  Data Type / Data Type Offset
   # ...........  ............................
   #
       54.50%     int
          54.50%     int +0 (no field)
       23.21%     long int
          23.21%     long int +0 (no field)
       18.30%     struct __foo
           9.57%     struct __foo +8 (m2)
           8.73%     struct __foo +0 (m1)
        3.86%     long unsigned int
           3.86%     long unsigned int +0 (no field)
       <snip>

   # Samples: 30K of event 'cpu/mem-stores/P'
   # Event count (approx.): 33880197
   #
   #    Overhead  Data Type / Data Type Offset
   # ...........  ............................
   #
       99.85%     struct __foo
          70.48%     struct __foo +0 (m1)
          29.34%     struct __foo +16 (m3)
           0.03%     struct __foo +8 (m2)
        0.09%     long unsigned int
           0.09%     long unsigned int +0 (no field)
        0.06%     (unknown)
           0.06%     (unknown) +0 (no field)
       <snip>

Then I run perf annotate with your patches, and I get the following:

  # perf annotate  --data-type

   Annotate type: 'long int' in /home/joe/tugtest/tugtest (2901 samples):
       samples     offset       size  field
          2901          0          8  long int	;

   Annotate type: 'struct __foo' in /home/joe/tugtest/tugtest (5593 samples):
       samples     offset       size  field
          5593          0         24  struct __foo	 {
          2755          0          8      uint64_t	m1;
          2838          8          8      uint64_t	m2;
             0         16          8      uint64_t	m3;
                                      };

Now when I run that same simple test using perf c2c, and I focus on the cachline that the struct and hotVar reside in, I get:

# perf c2c record --all-user -- ./tugtest -r3 -r5 -r7 -r9 -r11 -w10 -w12 -w14 -w16 -b5 -H2000000
# perf c2c report -NNN --stdio
# <snip>
#
#      ----- HITM -----  ------- Store Refs ------  ------ Data address ------                ---------- cycles ----------    Total    cpu               Shared
# Num  RmtHitm  LclHitm   L1 Hit  L1 Miss      N/A        Offset  Node  PA cnt  Code address  rmt hitm  lcl hitm      load  records    cnt      Symbol   Object    Source:Line  Node{cpu list}
#....  .......  .......  .......  .......  .......  ............  ....  ......  ............  ........  ........  ........  .......  .....  ..........  .......  .............  ....
#
    0     1094     2008    17071    13762        0      0x406100
         0.00%    0.20%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%           0x8     1       1      0x401355         0       978      1020     2962      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:129   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.00%    0.00%    0.12%    0.02%    0.00%           0x8     1       1      0x401360         0         0         0       23      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:129   0{10,12,14,16}
        68.10%   60.26%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x10     1       1      0x401505      2181      1541      1393     5813      5  [.] reader  tugtest  tugtest.c:163   1{3,5,7,9,11}
        31.63%   39.34%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x10     1       1      0x401331      1242      1095       936     3393      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:127   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.00%    0.00%   40.03%   40.25%    0.00%          0x10     1       1      0x40133c         0         0         0    12372      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:127   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.27%    0.15%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x18     1       1      0x401343       834      1136      1032     2930      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:128   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.00%    0.05%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x18     1       1      0x40150c         0       933      1567     5050      5  [.] reader  tugtest  tugtest.c:163   1{3,5,7,9,11}
         0.00%    0.00%    0.06%    0.00%    0.00%          0x18     1       1      0x40134e         0         0         0       10      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:128   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.00%    0.00%   59.80%   59.73%    0.00%          0x20     1       1      0x401516         0         0         0    18428      5  [.] reader  tugtest  tugtest.c:163   1{3,5,7,9,11}

With the above c2c output, we can see:
 - the hottest contended addresses, and the load latencies they caused.
 - the cacheline offset for the contended addresses.
 - the cpus and numa nodes where the accesses came from.
 - the cacheline alignment for the data of interest.
 - the number of cpus and threads concurrently accessing each address.
 - the breakdown of reads causing HITM (contention) and writes hitting or missing the cacheline.
 - the object name, source line and line number for where the accesses occured.
 - the numa node where the data is allocated.
 - the number of physical pages the virtual addresses were mapped to (e.g. numa_balancing).

What would really help the c2c output be more usable is if it had a better visual to it.
It's likely the current c2c output can be trimmed a bit.

Here's one idea that incorporates your datatype info, though I'm sure there are better ways, as this may get unwieldy.:

#      ----- HITM -----  ------- Store Refs ------  ------ Data address ------                ---------- cycles ----------    Total    cpu               Shared
# Num  RmtHitm  LclHitm   L1 Hit  L1 Miss      N/A        Offset  Node  PA cnt  Code address  rmt hitm  lcl hitm      load  records    cnt      Symbol   Object    Source:Line  Node{cpu list}
#....  .......  .......  .......  .......  .......  ............  ....  ......  ............  ........  ........  ........  .......  .....  ..........  .......  .............  ....
#
    0     1094     2008    17071    13762        0      0x406100
  uint64_t hotVar: tugtest.c:38
         0.00%    0.20%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%           0x8     1       1      0x401355         0       978      1020     2962      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:129   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.00%    0.00%    0.12%    0.02%    0.00%           0x8     1       1      0x401360         0         0         0       23      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:129   0{10,12,14,16}
  struct __foo uint64_t m1: tugtest.c:39
        68.10%   60.26%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x10     1       1      0x401505      2181      1541      1393     5813      5  [.] reader  tugtest  tugtest.c:163   1{3,5,7,9,11}
        31.63%   39.34%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x10     1       1      0x401331      1242      1095       936     3393      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:127   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.00%    0.00%   40.03%   40.25%    0.00%          0x10     1       1      0x40133c         0         0         0    12372      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:127   0{10,12,14,16}
  struct __foo uint64_t m2: tugtest.c:40
         0.27%    0.15%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x18     1       1      0x401343       834      1136      1032     2930      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:128   0{10,12,14,16}
         0.00%    0.05%    0.00%    0.00%    0.00%          0x18     1       1      0x40150c         0       933      1567     5050      5  [.] reader  tugtest  tugtest.c:163   1{3,5,7,9,11}
         0.00%    0.00%    0.06%    0.00%    0.00%          0x18     1       1      0x40134e         0         0         0       10      4  [.] writer  tugtest  tugtest.c:128   0{10,12,14,16}
  struct __foo uint64_t m3: tugtest.c:41
         0.00%    0.00%   59.80%   59.73%    0.00%          0x20     1       1      0x401516         0         0         0    18428      5  [.] reader  tugtest  tugtest.c:163   1{3,5,7,9,11}

And then it would be good to find a clean way to incorporate your sample counts.

On a related note, is there a way the accesses could be broken down into read counts
and write counts?   That, with the above source line info for all the accesses,
helps to convey a picture of "the affinity of the accesses".

For example, while it's normally good to separate read-mostly data from hot
written data, if the reads and writes are done together in the same block of
code by the same thread, then keeping the two data symbols in the same cacheline
could be a win.  I've seen this often. Your datatype info might be able to
make these affinities more visible to the user.

Thanks for doing this. This is great.
Joe