Re: Git hosting (was Re: Solving screenreader sound problems ...)

Jookia <contact@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What is 'no bullshit'? Is it accessibility features that you don't need?

Javascript that lags my Pi 4 to unusability?  I have an old Acer netbook
that I use while traveling sometimes.  I wouldn't dare try running
firefox on that anymore.  I've had privileged people tell me to get a
newer / faster / more powerful computer.

> Yes I test with screen readers, but accessibility covers more than just
> screen readers.
> You mentioned earlier that sourcehut has headings that
> supposedly work better than skip links- if you're using a screen reader.
> If you can see but just can't use a mouse or have some button-based
> input then you're kind of screwed here.

Ok.  I have no vision.  Not light perception.  Squat.  And I never
have.  That's my frame of reference, my bias.

So sourcehut doesn't have skip links?  Unlike Github, it is free
software.  Has someone tried sending patches?  Were they rejected?  If
they were, then that's a problem.  I'd fork it myself and accept those
patches.

You know, you just gave me an excellent notion.  I've been
told that gitea is hostile to adding accessibility features.  It
supports the kind of pull request workflow popularized by github, and
it's free software.
Now I'm tempted to fork it and solicit accessibility patches.

We have different frames of reference.  You seem like someone I can
work with.  Interested in collaborating on a gitea fork?

> GitHub gives me a skip link, then lets me see all the different parts of
> the project I can view (issues, releases, etc). The source code view
> shows me the directory tree, which commits modified what, how long ago
> that was.

And I find the whole thing confusing and verbose.  It works, but it
isn't pleasant.  Fortunately they have an API and there are command line tools.

> Things are folded in to dropdown boxes and have icons that
> explain things.

If you are a power user, having things explained to you all the time
is just a distraction.  Investing time to learn pays off mightily.
Speech and braille are inherently low-bandwidth channels.  I suspect
screen magnification is somewhat low bandwidth too, just not as strongly.

> Sourcehut is confusing to me even with sight. I go to your link, then I
> click 'tickets' and now I can't go to the sources or mailing list.

Use the back button?  A lot of web applications break the back button,
but on both github and sourcehut it is usable.

> It looks like in order to contribute you have to use mailing
> lists and patches which isn't very friendly.

If you're using git, you're already using a notoriously user-hostile VCS
anyway.  It is widely adopted because Linux uses it and because of
Github.  Is having to use email to submit patches really that much more
of a burden?  I've taught people to get up and running with
git send-email in a matter of minutes.  Patches and email have been around
for decades; they'll be around long after Github is gone, and they work
even in the most constrained of environments.

--
Chris Brannon
Founder: Blind and Low Vision Unix Users Group (https://blvuug.org/).