Re: Git hosting (was Re: Solving screenreader sound problems ...)

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 11:00:24PM -0800, Chris Brannon wrote:
> Github is ok.  But sourcehut is far more usable due to a strong
> emphasis on "no bullshit".  You won't find this in guidelines or in
> technical definitions.

What is 'no bullshit'? Is it accessibility features that you don't need?

> Do you actually test with screenreaders?  How about Orca?  Do you have
> access to a Raspberry Pi 4?  An x86 machine would work, but I think a
> Raspberry Pi 4 with Orca is a nice environment for testing.  If you
> don't have an installation with Orca easy to hand, but you do have a Pi
> 4, I can send you an image you could test with.

Yes I test with screen readers, but accessibility covers more than just
screen readers. You mentioned earlier that sourcehut has headings that
supposedly work better than skip links- if you're using a screen reader.
If you can see but just can't use a mouse or have some button-based
input then you're kind of screwed here.

> Assuming you've got Orca running, you should try using the following two
> sites in Firefox.  I picked a couple repos at random, for a compare-and-contrast.
>
> https://github.com/curl/curl
> https://sr.ht/~vpzom/lotide/

GitHub gives me a skip link, then lets me see all the different parts of
the project I can view (issues, releases, etc). The source code view
shows me the directory tree, which commits modified what, how long ago
that was. Things are folded in to dropdown boxes and have icons that
explain things.

Sourcehut is confusing to me even with sight. I go to your link, then I
click 'tickets' and now I can't go to the sources or mailing list.
Tickets has a long table that doesn't tell you what the columns even
are, with a number at the end that I assume is to do with comments or
something. It looks like in order to contribute you have to use mailing
lists and patches which isn't very friendly.
The mailing list tracker has unlabeled numbers that aren't even visually
described. They just show as an arrow and a person for me.
Going to sources shows me a bunch of different repos and clicking those
don't show me how to get back to the larger project. The source doesn't
tell me which commits last modified a file.

Overall I find Sourcehut very hard to navigate and build a mental model
of where things are, and it requires adding an email client to my
workflow instead of just using git and a web browser.