Re: a little sysadmin story

Oh, I understand that Speakup was the problem in the situation you've
been telling us about. I get that.

My point is that it could just as easily been something else. Happens
all the time. To categorically ban application X because you had a bad
experience with it in one situation is not very smart, imo. To turn
around and say that disabled thing was the problem, and we just won't
have that is downright insulting when they didn't have running backups
and some other componant could have been the culpirt just as easily.

Janina

Deedra Waters writes:
> Janina,
>
> speakup was the cause because when bossman came down to hook up a
> monitor and look, the panick messages had something to do with speakup.
>
> As for backing up their work, they were trying to fix their fuck-up to
> begin with. The initial problem wasn't with speakup. However when i was
> helping them debug it, speakup made the kernel panick and crash.
>
> Debian i dont think likes people with root access on their box to begin
> with, but i think they kind of didn't like speakup in their kernel to
> begin with.
>
> I suspect on the other hand that if speakup was a user-space app, it
> wouldn't have mattered to them so much. If a userspace program crashes
> it doesn't take down the whole box. When speakup does though, it takes
> down the whole box.
>

> --
> Website: http://deedra.the-brannons.com
> blog: http://deedra.the-brannons.com/blog