a little sysadmin story

 i was working at oregon state's open source lab and network admin
thing for a year and a half. Here's one situation.  i came across. Not
trying to antagonize anyone at all but here's what happened and this is
one reason why i dislike speakup in the kernel even though it's got a
lot of benifits.....Anyway......

I was working at the lab. Debian was having a problem with one of their
my machines. The machine had crashed so i went to the dmz to kick it and
try and help them figure out their problem. We were happily working on
the box an hour or so later when i hit a speakup bug. The kernel
panicked, and the box crashed. $debiandeveloper lost their changes to
some config files. The end result was the lab lost their access to the
debian machine. I had a similar problem on another client's box. end
result, they flipped had speakup pulled from their kernels and i wasn't
allowed to work on their boxes.

This is an extreme case, but it's also an important point in my concern.
--
Website: http://deedra.the-brannons.com
blog: http://deedra.the-brannons.com/blog