Re: a little sysadmin story

I should probably add I haven't seen Speakup hangs recently.

I do believe you can easily create one, though, by calling Speakup to
talk to one of the four ttyS? devices and then not hooking something up
at that address. I believe this would hang the boot still, but this si
much NOT a big deal.

John G. Heim writes:
> Hmmm... I don't know. I have to say that I remain unconvinced. I've never
> seen speakup cause a kernel panic. On the other hand, I have witnessed the
> false cause effect. Something happens that causes a kernel panic and since
> speakup is part of the kernel, it naturally has problems. You were on a
> development server, right? Isn't it more likely that one of the developers
> crashed the server amd that, in turn, caused problems for speakup? I run
> some development servers here at the UW math department and it happens all
> the time. Somebody causes an OOM (out of memory) event and, yes, that
> crashes speakup.
>
> I once asked on the kernel developers list for comments on what's wrong with
> the speakup code. There is that one biggie, of course, speakup writes
> directly to the serial port. But all the other criticisms were things like
> not following naming conventions, poor indentation, etc. Maybe the people
> who mattered didn't bother to answer my question. But there wasn't anything
> in there that would tend to indicate that speakup is prone to causing kernel
> panics. Now, any software package can have a bug. But I have no reason to
> believe that speakup is particularly unstable. Quite the contrary in fact.
>
> And even if there is a bug in speakup that can cause a kernel panic, that's
> an argument for finding the bug and fixing it. Not for abandoning it
> entirely.
>

> On 10/09/14 08:34, Deedra Waters wrote:
> >Janina,
> >
> >speakup was the cause because when bossman came down to hook up a
> >monitor and look, the panick messages had something to do with speakup.
> >
> >As for backing up their work, they were trying to fix their fuck-up to
> >begin with. The initial problem wasn't with speakup. However when i was
> >helping them debug it, speakup made the kernel panick and crash.
> >
> >Debian i dont think likes people with root access on their box to begin
> >with, but i think they kind of didn't like speakup in their kernel to
> >begin with.
> >
> >I suspect on the other hand that if speakup was a user-space app, it
> >wouldn't have mattered to them so much. If a userspace program crashes
> >it doesn't take down the whole box. When speakup does though, it takes
> >down the whole box.

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
		Email:	janina@xxxxxxxxxxx