Re: the push to get rid of CONFIG_VT in the kernel and the future of Speakup

On 10/09/14 09:32, Chris Brannon wrote:
"John G. Heim" <jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Here at the University of Wisconsin, there
are a lot of linux systems admin jobs. And for the majority of them,
it would be a big problem if you couldn't access the boot messages.

Is the serial console support not appropriate / acceptable?

Well, I brought this up myself in another message. I would indeed consider it adequate ifa blind sys admin could get access to the boot messages via the serial console. But I'd like to know with absolute certainty that the proposed change to the linux kernel wouldn't also effect a serial console.

I am not a kernel developer but it doesn't make sense to me that something that would force speakup out of kernel space wouldln't also force a serial console out of kernel space. In which case, how is it going to get boot messages? As a technical issue, what's the difference between speakup and a serial console? Why is one so bad and the other one okay?

This is another example of some questions I asked on the kernel developers list and didn't get satisfactory answers. But I suspect that the answer is that the serial console was once in common use in the linux/unix community and speakup is not. Serial consoles are familiar and speakup is not.