Re: the push to get rid of CONFIG_VT in the kernel and the future of Speakup

"John G. Heim" <jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Here at the University of Wisconsin, there
> are a lot of linux systems admin jobs. And for the majority of them,
> it would be a big problem if you couldn't access the boot messages.

Is the serial console support not appropriate / acceptable?
When I first started out with Linux, I had a Braille 'n Speak, and I
used it as a dumb terminal.  If I started the serial console at boot, I
got to see all of the boot messages from the kernel, regardless of
whether I had Speakup.  It's not really a good way to work, when
compared to Speakup, but for tasks such as diagnosing boot failures, it
was usable.
If I worked professionally as an on-site sysadmin, I might try to
do something similar today.  The BNS isn't manufactured any more, but
I'm sure there's something that would work as well.

-- Chris