Re: [RFC] Generic InfiniBand transport done in software

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 07:54:46PM +0200, Moni Shoua wrote:

Point is others have looked at the code. No issues have been called out to
date as to why what is there won't work for everyone.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144968107508268&w=2
Your answer to the send() issue is first an agreement with the comment
and later says that it can't be done because of how PIO and SDMA
(Intel specific implementation)
This is an example for a discussion that never ended with an agreement.

No. PIO and SDMA is driver specific and lives in the driver. Rdmavt has no concept of this. I'm agreeing that the send will be generic and have no hw specific stuff.

Yes it is specific to Intel *now*, that doesn't mean it should stay that
way. Rdmavt could, and in my opinion should, be extended to support
soft-roce. I don't think replicating the same thing is a great idea.

But you post *now* a so called generic driver so it must now fit any
possible driver (including Soft RoCE)

As I've stated a number of times across multiple threads: It must not do anything that would prevent another driver from using it.

As to the location, where do you think it should go. drivers/infiniband/sw
makes the most sense to me, but open to suggestions.

And for the question of why publish when it's not ready, the better question
is why not?  Is it not good to see the work in progress as it evolves so the
community can provide feedback?

What kind of a feedback you expect when I don't have an idea about
your plans for rdmavt
Interfaces, flows, data structures... all is missing from the
documentation to rdmavt.

I expect feedback based on the code submissions. More will be coming shortly. I have taken all the feedback from the first post and will be sending a v2 shortly.

-Denny