Re: [RFC] Generic InfiniBand transport done in software

> There were discussions, and Mellanox even contributed code to the effort.
> See Kamal's patches in the patch set I provided.

As far as I see it discussions were shallow and never produced an
agreement. Kamal's patches should not be considered as as such.

>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144952098726776&w=2 presents a work
>> that besides keeping the name RVT is far from the immature concept I
>> mentioned earlier and its scope was changed from general purpose
>> solution to Intel and HFI/QIB only.
>

> The scope has never changed. Our goal is, and has always been to remove the
> code duplication between qib and hfi1. We are doing that by way of rdmavt.
> It is limited in scope to Intel's drivers currently for what I hope are
> obvious reasons.

So you actually agree that rdmavt was intended to be a solution to
Intel's specific drivers.
Fair, but IMO this is not what we aimed for.
In fact, if this is an Intel specific solution then why put it in
drivers/infiniband/sw and why publish it when it is not ready?

> I think it makes sense that soft-roce be added as well and hope that
> Mellanox decides to contribute rather than reinventing the wheel.
>
> Is there something in rdmavt that would not work for soft-roce, or is
> something fundamental missing? I have asked this a number of times and
> nothing has been raised so I assume there are no issues. If there are lets
> discuss them.

Interfaces between rdmavt and its backends are missing. I consider
this as fundamental.
Concerns were raised but answers were not provided, at least not
satisfying answers.