Re: [RFC] Generic InfiniBand transport done in software

> This makes no mention of the already posted work which aims to consolidate
> the qib and hfi1 drivers verbs implementation. However it does seem to be
> mostly in line with what we have already presented for rdmavt and the
> direction the next set of patches is going in. Have you seen something in
> rdmavt that contradicts this? I have not seen the need to write a detailed
> RFC because it's pretty straight forward what needs to happen. Take the
> common parts of qib and hfi and move to another kmod. Don't do anything that
> prevents soft-roce from using the same infrastructure. I think we are
> accomplishing that and have been very open during the process.
>
> Specifically this RFC does not capture much more detail beyond what has
> already been posted. There are also a number of details regarding hardware
> specifics that are not dealt with here but are in the current rdmavt patch
> series, as well as patches that are yet to be posted. The bottom line is we
> can't sacrifice performance for a perfect API.
>
> Previous discussion threads:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144353141420065&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144563342718705&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144614769419528&w=2
>
> Rdmavt & Qib code submissions:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144968107508268&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144952133926970&w=2
> Feedback has been received on these patches and unless otherwise noted in
> the relevant threads will be incorporated into the V2 of the patch sets.

Hi Denny

http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144614769419528&w=2 introduced a
concept (RVT) which was never followed by a discussion and never
agreed upon. Moreover,
http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144952098726776&w=2 presents a work
that besides keeping the name RVT is far from the immature concept I
mentioned earlier and its scope was changed from general purpose
solution to Intel and HFI/QIB only. I therefore conclude that the
concept of RVT, as it was supposed to be, was abandoned.

Moni