Re: [RFC] Generic InfiniBand transport done in software

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 06:28:08PM +0200, Moni Shoua wrote:

This makes no mention of the already posted work which aims to consolidate
the qib and hfi1 drivers verbs implementation. However it does seem to be
mostly in line with what we have already presented for rdmavt and the
direction the next set of patches is going in. Have you seen something in
rdmavt that contradicts this? I have not seen the need to write a detailed
RFC because it's pretty straight forward what needs to happen. Take the
common parts of qib and hfi and move to another kmod. Don't do anything that
prevents soft-roce from using the same infrastructure. I think we are
accomplishing that and have been very open during the process.

Specifically this RFC does not capture much more detail beyond what has
already been posted. There are also a number of details regarding hardware
specifics that are not dealt with here but are in the current rdmavt patch
series, as well as patches that are yet to be posted. The bottom line is we
can't sacrifice performance for a perfect API.

Previous discussion threads:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144353141420065&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144563342718705&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144614769419528&w=2

Rdmavt & Qib code submissions:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144968107508268&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144952133926970&w=2
Feedback has been received on these patches and unless otherwise noted in
the relevant threads will be incorporated into the V2 of the patch sets.

Hi Denny

http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144614769419528&w=2 introduced a
concept (RVT) which was never followed by a discussion and never
agreed upon. Moreover

There were discussions, and Mellanox even contributed code to the effort. See Kamal's patches in the patch set I provided.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144952098726776&w=2 presents a work
that besides keeping the name RVT is far from the immature concept I
mentioned earlier and its scope was changed from general purpose
solution to Intel and HFI/QIB only.

The scope has never changed. Our goal is, and has always been to remove the code duplication between qib and hfi1. We are doing that by way of rdmavt. It is limited in scope to Intel's drivers currently for what I hope are obvious reasons.

I think it makes sense that soft-roce be added as well and hope that Mellanox decides to contribute rather than reinventing the wheel.

Is there something in rdmavt that would not work for soft-roce, or is something fundamental missing? I have asked this a number of times and nothing has been raised so I assume there are no issues. If there are lets discuss them.

Reading through your RFC here, perhaps something like the multicast add
and delete is concerning? This is something that is not really needed by qib and hfi1 but may be for soft-roce. All that means is soft-roce needs to provide it and it would be optional for qib and hfi1. The rdmavt architecture is flexible and allows exactly this.

I therefore conclude that the
concept of RVT, as it was supposed to be, was abandoned.

This is absolutely incorrect. As mentioned above, nothing has changed.

-Denny