Re: [RFC] Generic InfiniBand transport done in software

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 05:43:11PM +0200, Moni Shoua wrote:

There were discussions, and Mellanox even contributed code to the effort.
See Kamal's patches in the patch set I provided.

As far as I see it discussions were shallow and never produced an
agreement. Kamal's patches should not be considered as as such.

Point is others have looked at the code. No issues have been called out to date as to why what is there won't work for everyone.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=144952098726776&w=2 presents a work
that besides keeping the name RVT is far from the immature concept I
mentioned earlier and its scope was changed from general purpose
solution to Intel and HFI/QIB only.

The scope has never changed. Our goal is, and has always been to remove the
code duplication between qib and hfi1. We are doing that by way of rdmavt.
It is limited in scope to Intel's drivers currently for what I hope are
obvious reasons.

So you actually agree that rdmavt was intended to be a solution to
Intel's specific drivers.
Fair, but IMO this is not what we aimed for.
In fact, if this is an Intel specific solution then why put it in
drivers/infiniband/sw and why publish it when it is not ready?

Yes it is specific to Intel *now*, that doesn't mean it should stay that way. Rdmavt could, and in my opinion should, be extended to support soft-roce. I don't think replicating the same thing is a great idea.

As to the location, where do you think it should go. drivers/infiniband/sw makes the most sense to me, but open to suggestions.

And for the question of why publish when it's not ready, the better question is why not? Is it not good to see the work in progress as it evolves so the community can provide feedback?

I think it makes sense that soft-roce be added as well and hope that
Mellanox decides to contribute rather than reinventing the wheel.

Is there something in rdmavt that would not work for soft-roce, or is
something fundamental missing? I have asked this a number of times and
nothing has been raised so I assume there are no issues. If there are lets
discuss them.

Interfaces between rdmavt and its backends are missing. I consider
this as fundamental.
Concerns were raised but answers were not provided, at least not
satisfying answers.

No one is arguing that. It is a work in progress and will get there. More details are in in Ira's response.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-rdma&m=145091253118395&w=2

-Denny