Re: Motorola motmdm support

* Denis Kenzior <denkenz@xxxxxxxxx> [181230 21:05]:
> On 12/30/2018 02:24 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > I have not played with GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET, I thought that needed
> > support on the modem side as well, but maybe not?
> >

> It requires the modem to support Raw IP.  Many (most?) AT command based
> modems do these days, no idea about your hardware.

I have not seen anything about IP over ts 27.010 on this
one.. I'll play with it at some point to confirm.

> > Would GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET make things easier from ofono
> > point of view?
>
> Depends on your definition of easier.  The real reason for GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET
> is speed/efficiency.  In a typical 27.010 / 27.007 compliant modem you'd
> setup N logical AT command channels where N = 1 (minimum, but can be more if
> you want) + max number of active contexts. Typically modems support 3+ of
> these.  Once a context is activated, you'd switch the channel into data mode
> via AT+CGDATA (e.g. for PPP or raw IP) and start shoving your network
> packets on that channel in the format chosen.

OK thanks for explaining the use case.

> How are you handling data connections?  PPP? Or is there some other protocol
> to transfer packets back and forth?

All the data connections in this case are done using QMI over USB.

And that probably explains why I have not seen any data related
stuff on ts 27.010.

> > > - GNSS/GPS is intended to be handled via oFono LocationReporting API.  I
> > > would recommend integrating this as intended...
> >
> > We have a standard kernel GNSS API now :) And we have /dev/gnss0
> > already working for droid 4.
>
> That's great.  But I think my recommendation still stands.  You want GPS
> state to be synchronized with the overall modem state, etc...

Hmm sounds like ofono would benefit from using /dev/gnss0 in the
long run though. I guess the situation is similar to having
multiple computer mouse drivers earlier with their own interfaces
vs standard /dev/input :)

> I believe the utilities you mention should be good enough to decode the
> basics.  I think someone has even tested these on a real network at some
> point.  But the people working on CDMA have not contributed since ~2011, so
> I have no idea about the state of that code.  I was considering removing it
> given that CDMA is essentially defunct (or will be in a few years).

OK, sounds like we might need the CDMA PDU features for few more
years though.

Oh, I think I forgot to answer your question regarding PM,
there's nothing that the user space needs to except to avoid
polling the /dev/motmdm* devices unnecessarily. And to type
AT+SCRN=0 on /dev/motmdm1 when no notifications for signal
strength and network status are needed.

Regards,

Tony