Re: Motorola motmdm support

* Denis Kenzior <denkenz@xxxxxxxxx> [181230 19:32]:
> You still need someone to send AT+CMUX, no?  And you most likely need to
> integrate power management into the telephony stack anyway.  As I mentioned,
> we had a driver like this that worked just fine.  oFono ended up using a
> user space MUX since most of the quality of life improvements to n_gsm came
> in much later.  If I was writing a new MUXed driver these days, I'd
> seriously consider using GSMIOC_SETCONF and GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET.

No need to type AT+CMUX or anything, things start in ts 27.010
mode from the start for the hardware. Then the serdev driver
layer handles doing GSMIOC_SETCONF.

I have not played with GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET, I thought that needed
support on the modem side as well, but maybe not?

Would GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET make things easier from ofono
point of view?

> How does the audio mixer handling work?  Just some AT commands to setup the
> mixing parameters, or something more involved?

Well the audio mixer(s) are just standard Alsa interfaces now.

There's a mixer for the SoC PMIC codec, and another one for the modem
codec. The modem codec interface is done as serdev driver, so yeah
it's just channel specific AT commands over Motorola custom packet
layer on top of ts 27.010.

> Some other things to consider:
> - oFono expects / is designed to expect exclusive access to all the tty
> ports

This should not be a problem for the separate /dev/motmdm*
character devices.

> - GNSS/GPS is intended to be handled via oFono LocationReporting API.  I
> would recommend integrating this as intended...

We have a standard kernel GNSS API now :) And we have /dev/gnss0
already working for droid 4.

> There's no real functional CDMA support in oFono anyhow.  Given that most
> CDMA networks are about to be switched off, I don't know why you would
> bother?

Hmm right, good point. Anyways that's how the SMS gets sent and
received in the US for droid 4 currently.. The file I was looking at
is src/cdma-sms.c and the only thing to do there is the PDU coding
and encoding.

I guess droid 4 will be in 3G roaming mode in the US after CDMA gets
shut down in few years :) I think that's already happening if data
is enabled and there's no 4G network signal.

Regards,

Tony