Re: Motorola motmdm support

Hi Pavel,

On 12/29/2018 03:49 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

Motorola phones use "interesting" setup.

There's qmi and "normal" (but very buggy) AT interface on
them. Unfortunately that uses USB and uses too much power (which is a
problem on phone).

Plus there's /dev/motmdm1, motmdm3 and motmdm9, multiplexed over
serial line.

Kernel 27.010 multiplexer or something else entirely?

It uses subset of AT commands (good) with slightly modified
protocol... it says ":OK" instead of "OK" and puts ~ before
unsolicited messages.

Funny

Other major difference is that commands need to be sent to the right
device. It seems motmdm1 is for status and call control, and motmdm9
is for incoming sms.

I guess that right way to do this is to introduce
drivers/motorolamodem (or can we just have drivers/motorola?).

For some weird historic reason we called the atom drivers and thus the subdirectory housing the relevant sources with the 'modem' suffix. So I guess we should stick to that just to be consistent.

We can have a separate discussion on whether it makes sense to drop the 'modem' suffix and what the implications are (probably none). If we decide to drop the suffix, then we should/will do it for all drivers.

Regards,
-Denis