Re: Motorola motmdm support

Hi Tony,

On 12/30/2018 02:24 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
* Denis Kenzior <denkenz@xxxxxxxxx> [181230 19:32]:
You still need someone to send AT+CMUX, no?  And you most likely need to
integrate power management into the telephony stack anyway.  As I mentioned,
we had a driver like this that worked just fine.  oFono ended up using a
user space MUX since most of the quality of life improvements to n_gsm came
in much later.  If I was writing a new MUXed driver these days, I'd
seriously consider using GSMIOC_SETCONF and GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET.

No need to type AT+CMUX or anything, things start in ts 27.010
mode from the start for the hardware. Then the serdev driver
layer handles doing GSMIOC_SETCONF.

Gotcha.  That makes things a bit easier.

I have not played with GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET, I thought that needed
support on the modem side as well, but maybe not?

It requires the modem to support Raw IP. Many (most?) AT command based modems do these days, no idea about your hardware.

Would GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET make things easier from ofono
point of view?

Depends on your definition of easier. The real reason for GSMIOC_ENABLE_NET is speed/efficiency. In a typical 27.010 / 27.007 compliant modem you'd setup N logical AT command channels where N = 1 (minimum, but can be more if you want) + max number of active contexts. Typically modems support 3+ of these. Once a context is activated, you'd switch the channel into data mode via AT+CGDATA (e.g. for PPP or raw IP) and start shoving your network packets on that channel in the format chosen.

How are you handling data connections? PPP? Or is there some other protocol to transfer packets back and forth?

- GNSS/GPS is intended to be handled via oFono LocationReporting API.  I
would recommend integrating this as intended...

We have a standard kernel GNSS API now :) And we have /dev/gnss0
already working for droid 4.

That's great. But I think my recommendation still stands. You want GPS state to be synchronized with the overall modem state, etc...

There's no real functional CDMA support in oFono anyhow.  Given that most
CDMA networks are about to be switched off, I don't know why you would
bother?

Hmm right, good point. Anyways that's how the SMS gets sent and
received in the US for droid 4 currently.. The file I was looking at
is src/cdma-sms.c and the only thing to do there is the PDU coding
and encoding.

I believe the utilities you mention should be good enough to decode the basics. I think someone has even tested these on a real network at some point. But the people working on CDMA have not contributed since ~2011, so I have no idea about the state of that code. I was considering removing it given that CDMA is essentially defunct (or will be in a few years).

Regards,
-Denis