Re: piping escape into dosemu

2010/3/11 Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Up to
>> now I didn't really use anything but bash.  At least for me, pressing
>> the escape key (however often) does not display anything, but when
>> trying sh and dash, I see that pressing ESC "visually" resuts in ^[.
>
> $ set | grep SHELL
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor
>
> $ /bin/bash --version
> GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)
>
> Perhaps something in SHELLOPTS is different, and modifies that behavior.

I'm now using sh for the tests, which properly shows the ESC, so this
bash/ESC thing is only a side show.  I can see nothing wrong with my
bash, though:

tom@tom-desktop:~$ set | grep SHELL
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor
tom@tom-desktop:~$ /bin/bash --version
GNU bash, Version 4.0.33(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
Lizenz GPLv3+: GNU GPL Version 3 oder jünger <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Dies ist freie Software.  Sie darf verändert und verteilt werden.
Für dieses Programm besteht keinerlei Garantie.

I'm running it on Ubuntu Karmic, 64 bit.  No matter if I run bash in
gnome-terminal or on a text terminal (e.g. on Alt-Ctrl-F1), nothing is
displayed.  sh and dash do it in both cases.

> Please note that "some string" and 'some string' are NOT the same.

Thanks for that hint, I didn't give this any attention yet.  (I guess
there's still a lot to learn about the shell for me!)

> I'm not ready to throw in the towel. If we keep plugging at it,
> I think we can get there.

Your persistence is impressive :-).

> What do you get when you do this:
>
> $ echo -n "^[" | wc
>      0       0       1

With sh or dash, I get the exact same output.

Thomas