Re: [patch -mm] memcg: make oom killer a no-op when no killable task can be found

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Oh actually what happened with the pagefault OOM / panic on oom thing?
> We were talking around in circles about that too.

The oom killer rewrite attempts to kill current first, if possible, and
then will panic if panic_on_oom is set before falling back to selecting a
victim.  This is consistent with all other architectures such as powerpc
that currently do not use pagefault_out_of_memory().  If all architectures
are eventually going to be converted to using pagefault_out_of_memory()
with additional work on top of -mm, it would be possible to define
consistent panic_on_oom semantics for this case.  I welcome such an
addition since I believe it's a natural extension of panic_on_oom, but I
believe it should be done consistently so the sysctl doesn't have
different semantics depending on the underlying arch.