Re: [patch -mm] memcg: make oom killer a no-op when no killable task can be found

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:47:58 -0700 (PDT)
David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>
> > Many people reviewed these patches, but following four patches got no ack.
> >
> > oom-badness-heuristic-rewrite.patch
>
> Do you have any specific feedback that you could offer on why you decided
> to nack this?

I like this patch. But I think no one can't Ack this because there is no
"correct" answer. At least, this show good behavior on my environment.

> > oom-default-to-killing-current-for-pagefault-ooms.patch
>
> Same, what is the specific concern that you have with this patch?

I'm not sure about this. Personally, I feel pagefault-out-of-memory only
happens drivers are corrupted. So, I have no much concern on this.

> If you don't believe we should kill current first, could you please submit
> patches for all other architectures like powerpc that already do this as
> their only course of action for VM_FAULT_OOM and then make pagefault oom
> killing consistent amongst architectures?
>
> > oom-deprecate-oom_adj-tunable.patch
>
> Alan had a concern about removing /proc/pid/oom_adj, or redefining it with
> different semantics as I originally did, and then I updated the patchset
> to deprecate the old tunable as Andrew suggested.
>
> My somewhat arbitrary time of removal was approximately 18 months from
> the date of deprecation which would give us 5-6 major kernel releases in
> between.  If you think that's too early of a deadline, then I'd happily
> extend it by 6 months or a year.
>
> Keeping /proc/pid/oom_adj around indefinitely isn't very helpful if
> there's a finer grained alternative available already unless you want
> /proc/pid/oom_adj to actually mean something in which case you'll never be
> able to seperate oom badness scores from bitshifts.  I believe everyone
> agrees that a more understood and finer grained tunable is necessary as
> compared to the current implementation that has very limited functionality
> other than polarizing tasks.

If oom-badness-heuristic-rewrite.patch will go ahead, this should go.
But my concern is administorator has to check all oom_score_adj and
tune it again if he adds more memory to the system.

Now, not-small amount of people use Virtual Machine or Contaienr. So, this
oom_score_adj's sensivity to the size of memory can put admins to hell.

 Assume a host A and B. A has 4G memory, B has 8G memory.
 Here, an applicaton which consumes 2G memory.
 Then, this application's oom_score will be 500 on A, 250 on B.
 To make oom_score 0 by oom_score_adj, admin should set -500 on A, -250 on B.

I think this kind of interface is _bad_. If admin is great and all machines
in the system has the same configuration, this oom_score_adj will work powerfully.
I admit it.
But usually, admin are not great and the system includes irregular hosts.
I hope you add one more magic knob to give admins to show importance of application
independent from system configuration, which can work cooperatively with oom_score_adj.

> > oom-replace-sysctls-with-quick-mode.patch
> >
> > IIRC, alan and nick and I NAKed such patch. everybody explained the reason.
>
> Which patch of the four you listed are you referring to here?

replacing used sysctl is bad idea, in general.

I have no _strong_ opinion. I welcome the patch series. But aboves are my concern.
Thank you for your work.

Regards,
-Kame