Re: [patch -mm] memcg: make oom killer a no-op when no killable task can be found

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:

> Many people reviewed these patches, but following four patches got no ack.
>
> oom-badness-heuristic-rewrite.patch

Do you have any specific feedback that you could offer on why you decided
to nack this?

> oom-default-to-killing-current-for-pagefault-ooms.patch

Same, what is the specific concern that you have with this patch?

If you don't believe we should kill current first, could you please submit
patches for all other architectures like powerpc that already do this as
their only course of action for VM_FAULT_OOM and then make pagefault oom
killing consistent amongst architectures?

> oom-deprecate-oom_adj-tunable.patch

Alan had a concern about removing /proc/pid/oom_adj, or redefining it with
different semantics as I originally did, and then I updated the patchset
to deprecate the old tunable as Andrew suggested.

My somewhat arbitrary time of removal was approximately 18 months from
the date of deprecation which would give us 5-6 major kernel releases in
between.  If you think that's too early of a deadline, then I'd happily
extend it by 6 months or a year.

Keeping /proc/pid/oom_adj around indefinitely isn't very helpful if
there's a finer grained alternative available already unless you want
/proc/pid/oom_adj to actually mean something in which case you'll never be
able to seperate oom badness scores from bitshifts.  I believe everyone
agrees that a more understood and finer grained tunable is necessary as
compared to the current implementation that has very limited functionality
other than polarizing tasks.

> oom-replace-sysctls-with-quick-mode.patch
>
> IIRC, alan and nick and I NAKed such patch. everybody explained the reason.

Which patch of the four you listed are you referring to here?

> We don't hope join loudly voice contest nor help to making flame. but it
> doesn't mean explicit ack.

If someone has a concern with a patch and then I reply to it and the reply
goes unanswered, what exactly does that imply?  Do we want to stop
development because discussion occurred on a patch yet no rebuttal was
made that addressed specific points that I raised?

Arguing to keep /proc/pid/oom_kill_allocating_task means that we should
also not enable /proc/pid/oom_dump_tasks by default since the same systems
that use the former will need to now disable the latter to avoid costly
tasklist scans.  So are you suggesting that we should not enable
oom_dump_tasks like the rewrite does even though it provides very useful
information to 99.9% (or perhaps 100%) of users to understand the memory
usage of their tasks because you believe systems out there would flake out
with the tasklist scan it requires, even though you can't cite a single
example?

Now instead of not replying to these questions and insisting that your
nack stand based solely on the fact that you nacked it, please get
involved in the development process.