Re: Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-14) and eSATA Port Multiplier (PMP) Not working

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Tejun Heo<tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I don't believe port ata7.05 exists. AFAIK,  sil3736 only has 5 ports (0 to 4).
>> One of the quirks isn't applying or needs to be added to the kernel.
>> I don't recall what the psuedo port is for but Tejun or "Sans Digital
>> TRM4-B" vendor might know.
>>
>> I think this comment in libata-pmp.c might be relevant:
>>      /* port 5 is for SEMB device and it doesn't like SRST */
>>
>> But it looks like port 5 isn't responding at all. You might add a hack to change
>> "6" to "5" inside the "sil3726 quirks" code chunk.
>
> Ah... right, it's the SEMB port which is causing the problem.  I left
> it there just in case someone would extend on it and make it useful,
> which never really happened and given the general flakiness of this
> first generation PMPs, I think we would be better off simply disabling
> these SEMB and configuration devices altogether.  Any objections?

No objection.

Just some thoughts:
How can we find out if anyone has the SEMB properly wired up?
Would it be hard to make libata aware of "SEMB port not responding" case?
ie if the SEMB port times out or has no link, reduce the port count of
the sil3726 PMP by one.

Maybe add a "enable_sil24_semb" flag to libata?
(avoid checking unless someone asks for it). I hate magic flags but also
don't want to subject most people to the timeout delay.

hth,
grant