Re: Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-14) and eSATA Port Multiplier (PMP) Not working

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Grant Grundler<grundler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Which PMP is in the TRM4-B HDD enclosure?
>>
>> After opening it up, it looks to be a Silicone Image 3726 chip.
>
> Ok ...just some questions to pull a bit more info. Still no idea what is wrong.
>
> Can you confirm the OS is seeing as a 3726?
> Add a printk to dump SATA_PMP_GSCR_PROD_ID to the console
> similar to how it's done in sata_pmp_revalidate_quick().  Or if dev->gscr[]
> is already valid, printk dev->gscr[SATA_PMP_GSCR_PROD_ID]. This
> assumesyou know how to build/install a kernel from a source tree.
> Tell me if that's a bad assumption. :)

How about generous assumption ;-)  Could you elaborate on the steps
for this? I should be able to figure it out with a bit more info on
the process.

> ISTR some very early 3726 devices reported themselves as 4726 or
> something like that.
> This can affect which sata_pmp_quirks() are applied.

I noticed this line in the dmesg, does this confirm if it's reporting
the right model properly?
"ata7.15: Port Multiplier 1.1, 0x1095:0x3726 r23, 6 ports, feat 0x1/0x9"

> BTW, the full dmesg output attached to the original mail never made it
> to linux-ide mailing list...can you attach or post it someplace public?

Yes, you can find my dmesg @ http://pastebin.com/f50585886

Not sure if you saw this part before too - This is the output I get on
the screen during boot:

[59719.989422] ata7: irq_stat 0x01100010, PHY RDY changed
[59719.989477] ata7: SError: { 10B8B }
[59722.781043] ata7: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0xe frozen
[59722.781112] ata7: irq_stat 0x00b40090, PHY RDY changed
[59791.300259] ata7.15: failed to write PMP_FEAT_EN (Emask=0x40)
[59791.300324] ata7: failed to recover PMP after 5 tries, giving up
[59791.300323] ata7: exception Emask 0x3 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen t4
[59791.300483] ata7: irq_stat 0x00060002, device error via D2H FIS

>> There's a sticker on the circuit board with "BIOS 1.0114"
>
> Should be good. 1.0114 firmware has one problem I can't talk about now
> (NDAs, etc) and is unlikely to be related to this problem.
>

> ..
>>> My guess is the LEDs going on and off are caused by the PMP getting reset
>>> and not the Host OS "scanning". Are all the LEDs going on or off at
>>> the same time?
>>> Can you describe the on/off sequence of the LEDs?
>>>

>> Sure. The Power and "HOST" LEDs both light up, followed by LED "1"
>> which is orange very briefly, green, orange briefly, green stays lit,
>
> How long between LED 1 and LED 2?
> Is the sequence different if you power off the TRM4-B and power it
> on again before rebooting the host machine?

LED 1 takes about 2-3 seconds.. the other LEDs are lit very quickly
one after another.

> If CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME=y, the dmesg output should let me figure this out.

This seems to be enabled already with my current kernel.

> I'm expecting some sort of "spin up delay" to take effect but offhand
> don't know the code path or if it will matter for this problem.
>
>> LED "2" orange very briefly, green stays lit, LED "3" orange very
>> briefly, green stays lit, LED "4" orange very briefly, green stays lit
>> - at this point all LEDs are on.
>
> Ok - this does sound like ports behind the PMPs are being scanned.
>
>> Shortly after all LEDs turn off
>> together and the process repeats itself about 5 times.
>
> Can you add debug code to dump how many ports the PMP claims to have?
> I'm wondering if a "ghost port" (magic "port" which doesn't have a SATA link but
> some magic registers instead) is discovered/reported.

I can sure try! What should I do to enable this?

Thanks,

Chris.