Re: Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-14) and eSATA Port Multiplier (PMP) Not working

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Grant Grundler<grundler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Chris K<kayex@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply Tejun.
>>
>> I gave the 2.6.30-2 kernel a try and I received the same error message
>> as quoted below - it just happened a bit later on in the boot process.
>> (not at the "starting.." screen)
>>
>> Chris.

> Which PMP is in the TRM4-B HDD enclosure?

After opening it up, it looks to be a Silicone Image 3726 chip.
There's a sticker on the circuit board with "BIOS 1.0114"

> I'm comfortable that the SI 3132 SATA (sata_sil24 driver) works with PMPs
> in kernel version 2.6.28 though I haven't tried that version specifically.

> My guess is the LEDs going on and off are caused by the PMP getting reset
> and not the Host OS "scanning". Are all the LEDs going on or off at
> the same time?
> Can you describe the on/off sequence of the LEDs?

Sure. The Power and "HOST" LEDs both light up, followed by LED "1"
which is orange very briefly, green, orange briefly, green stays lit,
LED "2" orange very briefly, green stays lit, LED "3" orange very
briefly, green stays lit, LED "4" orange very briefly, green stays lit
- at this point all LEDs are on. Shortly after all LEDs turn off
together and the process repeats itself about 5 times.  After it
finishes it keeps Power, HOST and "1" lit up and then I receive the
error messages.

> I'm hoping the would tell us more about where in the discovery process
> it's failing.
> I don't even have a good guess what the problem might be.
>
> hth,
> grant

Haha, I know the feeling. Ran out of ideas a long time ago :-).  Let
me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try or any further
info you require.

Thanks.

Chris.