Re: Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-14) and eSATA Port Multiplier (PMP) Not working

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Chris K<kayex@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Which PMP is in the TRM4-B HDD enclosure?
>
> After opening it up, it looks to be a Silicone Image 3726 chip.

Ok ...just some questions to pull a bit more info. Still no idea what is wrong.

Can you confirm the OS is seeing as a 3726?
Add a printk to dump SATA_PMP_GSCR_PROD_ID to the console
similar to how it's done in sata_pmp_revalidate_quick().  Or if dev->gscr[]
is already valid, printk dev->gscr[SATA_PMP_GSCR_PROD_ID]. This
assumesyou know how to build/install a kernel from a source tree.
Tell me if that's a bad assumption. :)

ISTR some very early 3726 devices reported themselves as 4726 or
something like that.
This can affect which sata_pmp_quirks() are applied.

BTW, the full dmesg output attached to the original mail never made it
to linux-ide mailing list...can you attach or post it someplace public?

> There's a sticker on the circuit board with "BIOS 1.0114"

Should be good. 1.0114 firmware has one problem I can't talk about now
(NDAs, etc) and is unlikely to be related to this problem.

..
>> My guess is the LEDs going on and off are caused by the PMP getting reset
>> and not the Host OS "scanning". Are all the LEDs going on or off at
>> the same time?
>> Can you describe the on/off sequence of the LEDs?
>>

> Sure. The Power and "HOST" LEDs both light up, followed by LED "1"
> which is orange very briefly, green, orange briefly, green stays lit,

How long between LED 1 and LED 2?
Is the sequence different if you power off the TRM4-B and power it
on again before rebooting the host machine?

If CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME=y, the dmesg output should let me figure this out.

I'm expecting some sort of "spin up delay" to take effect but offhand
don't know the code path or if it will matter for this problem.

> LED "2" orange very briefly, green stays lit, LED "3" orange very
> briefly, green stays lit, LED "4" orange very briefly, green stays lit
> - at this point all LEDs are on.

Ok - this does sound like ports behind the PMPs are being scanned.

> Shortly after all LEDs turn off
> together and the process repeats itself about 5 times.

Can you add debug code to dump how many ports the PMP claims to have?
I'm wondering if a "ghost port" (magic "port" which doesn't have a SATA link but
some magic registers instead) is discovered/reported.

> After it
> finishes it keeps Power, HOST and "1" lit up and then I receive the
> error messages.

I suspect the PMP probe code sets up the link before exiting the error
handling loop. This would leave the link 1 (port 0 on PMP) on.

thanks,
grant