Re: Future of Multiproto

On 10/11/07, Artem Makhutov <artem@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 01:24:54AM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
> > Steven Toth wrote:
> > > I tried to salvage the project a number of times but you can't find a
> > > way to bring the patches back to the community at linuxtv.org.
> >
> > heck, i don't follow the problem you are stating in here.
>
> I can't understand your problems!
>
> What is the big difference between hosting the tree on linuxtv.org or
> somewhere else?
>
> Everyone can access the source, hosted on a private server, by the same
> way like on linuxtv.org and send patches via the mailing list.
>
> So why means hosting a tree on a private server not contributing to
> the community?

people can also contribute to projects on other servers it's no big deal.
As for the ML my personal opinion about that is it's better to put up
extra MLs for bigger topics which are ongoing for a longer time. I
collected way more information and historical logs for people who are
interested in the devices which I worked on than searching the general
purpose v4l or dvb mailinglist.
There are several projects splitted out also the linux uvc driver
which maintains its own repository and its own mailinglist it seems to
work out quite well too there.
(this is just my opinion about the hosting issue).

If the project wants to be united address the problems and give
several developers the freedom back which they're looking for then it
will be a pleasure for everyone to participate and continue work
together again. Also take into account who knows best about several
requirements about certain hardware - this is nothing everyone knows
here since devices differ and specs are available to different
developers.

Markus