Re: Future of Multiproto

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2007, Artem Makhutov wrote:
>
>> I am wondering about the future of the Multiproto API.
>>

> me too -- thanks for asking
>

>> Will the Multiproto API be part of the upcoming DVB-API, is it just a
>> short time solution to make the DVB-S2 devices work or is Multiproto the
>> new DVB-API?
>>

> For a long time I believed the API was basically agreed upon
> and Manu and IIRC Steve were implementing drivers. Once the
> drivers were ready (and thus proved the API works) the whole
> thing would've been merged.
>
> But I lost track of the "DVB API update" thread. Maybe
> Manu and Steve could fill us in what their conclusion of this
> thread was and what the plan is now.

Johannes / Manu,

I'm actually pretty sad about the whole situation. The HVR4000 has been
done for over a year, probably much more. Support for this product in
the main v4l-dvb repository is stuck behind the multiproto tree, and
that's going nowhere. People have been using the HVR4000 and multiproto
patches with success, although more widespread thorough testing is
always a good thing.

Manu,

I've pinged and pushed you on a number of occasions to publish an
updated tree via hg on linuxtv and for various political reasons this
has never happened. I think you made yourself pretty clear via private
communications, and via the public DVB API thread.Without re-visiting
(or-reigniting) those flames and bad feelings, I think it's clear to me
that the future of multiproto being maintained and managed in the
linuxtv/hg tree is not going to happen.

I've offered to help by performing the merge, organizing testing and
pushing the work to conclusion (final merge), but that doesn't appease
you. I'm not writing this email from spite, I'm simply trying to help
you, me and the rest of the community. But, either you have different
plans for the patches or you'll give me the OK - here in this thread -
to take your patches and begin working on them freely via linuxtv.org/hg

Unless this happens, I repeat, I cannot see a future where the
multiproto patches will be merged (after traditional peer review) into
the main v4l-dvb repository. In which case, I believe, the patches are
worthless. I really appreciate your efforts, but the patch is foundering
and its been having a negative impact on the community for a very long time.

All other suggested mechanisms for bringing multiproto into the kernel
are unacceptable to me, and will only serve to highlight the obvious
differences of opinion we have between various developers in the group.

For that reason, unless the situation changes, I'm going to withdraw the
HVR4000 tree pending a complete rewrite of the driver with no dependency
on multiproto.

If you point me at your latest code drop, I'll take it build a tree and
begin driving the patch, saving you all the trouble. If you have other
plans then I think you should state them here and now, for the record.

Damn, I wish you'd just let me help and ignore the politics.

- Steve