Re: Future of Multiproto

hermann pitton wrote:

>>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>>
>>> I had some difficulties understanding parts of your email, so I may come
>>> back to those pieces later today.
>>>
>>> One thing that was obvious... I don't understand what you mean about
>>> workflow, or why it's a problem, or why defining the workflow will help
>>> you, or resolve your concerns/frustrations. Clearly you are referring to
>>> how we collect and manage trees under linuxtv.org, but you haven't
>>> suggested an alternative method.
>>>

>> I did. Maybe you missed it, anyway that is not significant. Will readdress
>> it in a more clear manner
>>

>>> Two questions:
>>>
>>> How do you suggest improve 'workflow'?
>>>
>> Let me tell you how problems arise.
>>
>> @ the problem
>>
>> User sends a patch
>> the person who was write access to linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb, takes the patch
>> and applies it.
>>
>> (Please note, this is not personal, this issue results for anyone doing the same job)
>>
>> Now the person who has write access is neither the author/maintainer of the
>> driver/code and has little clue. (it is the nature of any human being), he thinks
>> that i have been doing this, who are you to tell me. In either case whether the
>> patch is good or bad
>>
>> (not talking about the quality of the patch, but that which results in the unnecessary
>> discussions and or talks)
>>
>> Now the actual author/maintainer has issues with the patch whatever it is. Now the
>> argument goes on for a while. In most cases the person who has write access to the
>> repository get's it right
>>
>> (since others tend to shy away for some reason)
>>
>> This is a bad situation where the people who do the real work in fact do get
>> demoralized, also not to mention the long unnecessary discussions.
>>

>> That is the bad side of things and this is what exactly what we are facing
>> Situations like this can be avoided. There is more than one possible way, but there are
>> two possible ways this can work
>>

>> @ Improving the situation
>>
>> Say whoever maintains some code he can be called the maintainer for the same.
>> Well this shouldn't be verbal, as this has proved many times that what's considered
>> verbal, behind the back there are many discussions and we have seen practically
>> how this works.
>>
>> So there needs to be well defined who maintains what, and mainline kernel folks
>> also need to know about it, lest someone should have a doubt and the problematic
>> case is revisited. i would suggest it the same place where the rest of the kernel goes,
>> we shouldn't be doing things in a different way
>>
>> (doing things different attracts different problems from the kernel style development
>> methods, then the situation is different)
>>
>> That said about the thought. Practically it might look like this
>>
>> 1)
>>     a) the person who has a patch sends a patch.
>> 	(normally people lookup MAINTAINERS whom to address the patch, some people
> [...]
Providing support, yes that's basically my point.

maintainers for every piece of code is viable and sustainable. I think
Manu wants something which cannot be done, and I suspect that's part of
a bigger agenda. I'm not trying to annoy people, I'm trying to move the
group forward and get new features into the API meaning broader O/S
adoption. Isn't that why we're all here?

Speaking purely for myself, my involvement with linuxtv varies depending
on my other work commitments. For this reason, I do not expect to review
every patch which gets created against the various drivers I've ever
brought to life. So, Manu's idea doesn't work for me, and I have no idea
whether it would work for Mauro (higher up my foodchain).

I think collectively, this group has to decide whether we want to pursue
Manu's multiproto patches given his unwillingness to release them in the
current climate, or think again with an alternative solution.

It's a great waste of effort to have to rethink S2 support just because
we have some differences of opinion within the group. But ultimately, if
we can't come to an agreement then the patches are worthless and we have
to find another way to move forward, either short term tactically or a
longer strategic view.... Neither of these sound appealing.

One final thought. You would not believe how many individuals and
commercial companies have contacted me re: HVR4000 S2 support in Linux.
It's an important _missing_ feature.

- Steve