Re: [Em28xx] MPL-licensed V4L kernel modules (em2880)

On 7/11/07, Alasdair Campbell <ragawu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/07/07, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would appreciate if you could stop spamming the em28xx ML since I
> > prefer to use it for relevant issues; Currently there are around 200
> > people registered most of them aren't interested in internal linuxtv
> > issues.
>
> As an outsider to this discussion - but nonetheless an interested
> party - I find this sort of approach really dispiriting. Do I have to
> point out that you yourself have been CC'ing the em28xx ML right up
> until this very last post?
>
> Accusing anybody of "spamming" on a subject this important to all
> parties - the licensing - serves very little purpose whatsoever, other
> than inflaming emotions, and nobody wishes for that.
>
> as a postscript..

right that was my fault, sorry.

> On 2007/7/10, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Stop that MPL discussion, I can put that code offline too and update
> > it with some probably nonfunctional code for several devices but it
> > won't help anyone in the end - so I won't do it.
> > I don't want my work to be stolen by linuxtv people in the end. It's
> > too easy to look over the code change a few lines and obfuscure my
> > work, remove the copyright and that's what I'm concerned about. I
> > wouldn't mind about it if it wouldn't happen with that linuxtv
> > community.
>
> You can't pick and choose who receives their rights under the GPL and
> who doesn't (surely this is one of the benefits!), you just have to
> live with it.

Well I don't close the development because of all that it just goes
another path around linuxtv.org. In general it's no big deal anymore
with the existing code since I already put it into userspace.
It will be an issue with newer drivers which I do not intend to share
with a group of people who are unable to discuss technical issues and
just try to cut everyone down.

Remember all that code could have been in the kernel for around 1 year
without breaking any device if these few core people (and there are
really only very few ones <5) wouldn't have tried to hit it down.

I'm sure the project would go on way faster if everyone who has never
investigated the dvb core project and who has no experience with that
piece of code (and writing a dvb driver doesn't shed much light about
the dvb framework) would just stay out of everything.

It's now about 14.000 lines of code, around 7000 inkernel lines, and I
haven't received _any_ participation request of any developer and all
you get if you ask people to join the project is that they are busy
with their work (which is ok) but then don't try to manipulate someone
else's work in the end.
Nothing is getting better here if linuxtv.org people don't work together.

Companies will for sure not like to rely on such a mess where finally
a few wannabes try to play the smart guys and are responsible that
support for alot devices won't get into the kernel.

Markus