Re: [Em28xx] MPL-licensed V4L kernel modules (em2880)

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 05:18:35PM +0200, Markus Rechberger wrote:

> Remember all that code could have been in the kernel for around 1 year
> without breaking any device if these few core people (and there are
> really only very few ones <5) wouldn't have tried to hit it down.

This "the bad linuxtv guys blocked my drivers for years"
allegation is unsubstancial as I tried to show in
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-June/018853.html

IMHO it is your inability to make compromises and work with
the community which blocked the merge. Issues don't just
magically resolve all by themselves if you just wait long enough.
Your attempts to force the merge with flames and ultimatums
(yes, plural) failed. Surprise, surprise...

> I'm sure the project would go on way faster if everyone who has never
> investigated the dvb core project and who has no experience with that
> piece of code (and writing a dvb driver doesn't shed much light about
> the dvb framework) would just stay out of everything.

You think you're the only competent programmer, and everyone
who dares to have different opinions just gets in the
way and holds you up? Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#Diagnostic_criteria

> It's now about 14.000 lines of code, around 7000 inkernel lines, and I
> haven't received _any_ participation request of any developer and all
> you get if you ask people to join the project is that they are busy
> with their work (which is ok) but then don't try to manipulate someone
> else's work in the end.
> Nothing is getting better here if linuxtv.org people don't work together.

If I look at hg or git logs I get the impression that the
community still works.

> Companies will for sure not like to rely on such a mess where finally
> a few wannabes try to play the smart guys and are responsible that
> support for alot devices won't get into the kernel.

Johannes