Re: [Em28xx] MPL-licensed V4L kernel modules (em2880)

Am Dienstag, 10. Juli 2007 12:08 schrieb Markus Rechberger:
> On 7/10/07, Marcel Siegert <mws@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > there's nothing to worry about, the modified target code is GPL again.

> > at least for my understanding, markus, please explain to me that,
> > if you use v4l/dvb core functions that are licensed GPL, your code IS
> > also GPL automatically, isn't it?
> >
> > and, as you told before, why is there a need to intermediate license to
> > MPL?
>
> Marcel, sorry this code is out of the scope of linuxtv, it's simply
> none of your business; A solution has been discussed with Linus and
> Mauro already. I do not want that my code gets reused by the linuxtv
> project without my authority (eg preventing code stealing).
>
> I'd appreciate if that thread can discontinue at that part, the very
> few active linuxtv developers who participated at the merging threads
> forced me to go another way since I'm not interested in further
> delays, you guys already delayed it for more than 1 year.. so feel
> lucky.
>
> So in case of the few linuxtv devs I would say the code is not
> intended to get compiled;
> In case of endusers I'd say take the code use and test it and submit
> bugreports if there are any, I'm try to answer all the mails on the
> em28xx ML (only very few might be delayed for a certain amount of
> time)
>
> thanks,
> Markus

Nice try, but I highly doubt that it'll work out. Your code is a derived work
of GPL'ed code (even using tricks like glue code doesn't help _per se_; not
to be derived work would mean that the code can reasonably work without using
any GPL-only bits ...).
So you can't prevent the copyright holders of the GPL'ed code you're using
from enforcing the license (except if they did some dual-licensing or gave
you explicit permission allowing you to use their code in this way).

Christoph