Re: [Em28xx] MPL-licensed V4L kernel modules (em2880)

On 7/10/07, Christoph Pfister <christophpfister@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2007/7/10, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx>:
> <bigsnip>
> > em2880-dvb and xc3028-tuner are not derived from v4l code; em28xx is
> > derived from GPL code but worthless without the other files.
>
> Maybe you should read what a derivative work is? And be aware that I
> didn't only mean linuxtv, but also all kernel functions you use.
>
> > Also people can write whatever they want as long as they don't compile it
> > and fact is that the code is still available.
> > Don't compile it against v4l-dvb and it's fine..
> > I can have whatever sourcecode I want to have on that server.
>
> You can do a lot (because you have server access) - but not everything is legal.
>
> > I'd appreciate if you could stop having useless discussions, a few
> > linuxtv people proved it during the last year that they aren't capable
> > of participating from the beginning on or helping at all to get
> > forward, so I'd appreciate if you could just shut up and wait for the
> > endresult.
> > Not everyone might know why I did that, people who participated at the
> > merging requests are responsible for that.
> >
> > Most people are welcome to participate at the latest work I have,
> > people who participated at recent discussions about getting the code
> > which now is in question merged are not welcome anymore.
>
> That are your personal issues. I doubt that you're 100% innocent and
> if you think that you'll have more success that way, do it that way.

No but who came up with code and patches? and that's the only relevant
part of everything in the end. And I worked alot with many people back
then too.

> Back to the MPL: After taking a closer look i had to *ROFL* (and I
> think any lawyer will too) about _how_ you want to pseudo-put your
> code under the MPL. Maybe you should read the license and see what
> formal conditions have to be met? I dunno how you want to enforce
> _anybody_ to treat your code as non-GPL'ed.

Stop that MPL discussion, I can put that code offline too and update
it with some probably nonfunctional code for several devices but it
won't help anyone in the end - so I won't do it.
I don't want my work to be stolen by linuxtv people in the end. It's
too easy to look over the code change a few lines and obfuscure my
work, remove the copyright and that's what I'm concerned about. I
wouldn't mind about it if it wouldn't happen with that linuxtv
community.

-Markus