Re: Unwatchable channels and strange behaviour of Hauppauge Nova-T Stick (update)

On 12/18/06, José Oliver Segura <primijos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/18/06, Luca Olivetti <luca@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> En/na José Oliver Segura ha escrit:
> >
> >       Anyway, as you said, the interesting point is that the TVE mux
> > seems to be a problematic one doesn't matter wich location/card (only
> > being important using the native windows driver or the linux one in my
> > case). I don't know if this can give us any clue to start doing some
> > research (once some days ago I was convinced that Higher frequencies
> > where causing reception problems but, again, today I've found that it
> > doesn't matter: I can watch channels transmitted at higher
> > frequencies)
>
> Another "interesting" thing with the TVE mux: I'm not sure I'm correctly
> managing the performance counters of my usb stick, but basically there
> are 2 post viterbi counters: an "abort count"  (i.e. uncorrectable
> packets) and an "error count " (number of error bits). By touching the
> screen on the coaxial cable I managed to keep both counters at 0, still
> the image is full of artifacts.
> I remember seeing the same on some satellite channels: no uncorrectable
> errors but still there are many artifacts.
> Maybe they're using some non standard mpeg encoding (that both xine and
> mplayer are unable to handle)?

       More on this: when I'm not able to tune "TVE 1", with femon I
can see that the only bit not active in status is the "V" (viterbi?).
I'm not sure what that means, but regarding the "non standard mpeg"
possibility, I'm afraid it is not sure: sometimes I can tune and watch
"TVE 1" without any problem (with mplayer), so... it seems that, when
"watchable", this MPEG stream is OK for mplayer.

      Update: a simple experiment with this mux reveals (I think)
that there's no problem with the signal strenght or mpeg stream, but
with the driver. Experiment is simple: whenever this problem appears
(can't tune "TVE 1" -> mplayer time out + femon shows missing "V" bit
in status), I just need to "rmmod dvb_usb_dib0700" and "modprobe
dvb_usb_dib0700" and then everything works again... (maybe I'm to
simple, but I think this restricts the problem to a software problem)

      Maybe there's some code at module init time that needs to be
called everytime? Or maybe the first tunning/disconnect let the stick
in a state in which it is not able to tune 100% that frequency?

      Anybody has any idea to point me in the right direction to
start looking/getting info?

      Best,
      Jose