Re: Unwatchable channels and strange behaviour of Hauppauge Nova-T Stick (update)

On 12/15/06, Luca Olivetti <luca@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
En/na José Oliver Segura ha escrit:
>       Hi all,
>
>       after a visit from my "cable guy" (the antenna guy, actually),
> I still have problems with the Nova-T Stick to be able to tune/watch
> some DVB-T channels. I was hoping it to be a trouble with the antenna,
> but the reality is that -as the technician said- the antenna it's OK
> :(

Mmmh, after seeing the patch recently posted today by treza at chez dot
com, it seems that your stick has an mt2060 tuner.

      Yes, it has one. I've posted some preliminary results. This
patch seems to improve reception in some frequencies, but I need to
check, since the signal decreases in a couple of them after the patch
is applied, so... maybe is just a matter of how many clouds are in the
sky in a given moment?

I'm writing a driver for another stick which also uses an mt2060 and I
can only tune to some muxes (considering that I'm ~6km far from the
Collserola tower that's pretty bad, it could be my antenna though, since
the line of sight to the tower is blocked by a block of flats in front
of my house):

I can see almost perfectly the TV3 mux, I can see with some artifacts
the CUATRO, TELE5 and ANTENA3 muxes (if I touch the stick while tuning),
TVE is full of artifacts, and that's all I can see.

      I have most of the problems with any the TVE mux (818000000 Hz
I think), the rest seems to be more or less ok now (As said, I've to
run some more checks). But this frequency -don't know why- doesn't
work for me (is strange, I think, because there are other -higher-
frequencies that do work ok)

In my case, though, I have the same problems under windows (in fact
under windows I cannot see TVE, ANTENA3 and TELE5 at all, I can just
tune but never get a picture).

      Oh, big difference with my case. I can tune and see all the
channels without any artifact in windows, that's why the case is so
discouraging. Also the fact that, for some channels, I can see it ok
with lower signal levels. That's why I'm also suspecting about other
issues, maybe in the frontend, existing in the configuration of the
driver for this stick (A very simple experiment: I just zap to "TVE
1", ^c, back and forth, and the UNC/BER numbers go to sky... with the
same signal level :-/ )

I'll try to activate the MT2060_SPURCHECK to see if it tunes better, but
I doubt it since I should have plenty of signal, shouldn't I?

      I'm not an expert in dvb-t, but I think to remember some
article in some web (sorry, don't remember where) where the author
mentioned the fact that, without visual line to the emitter, dvb-t
works worse than other broadcasting technologies. Please, note that
I'm not stating it (I'm not an expert at all), but I think I've read
it... Anybody can give any highlight on this?

      I'll also try the SPURCHECK and see what happens, and try to
post the results just to see if they can help you. If you whant me to
get some numbers for some channels, just let me know (I think I have
visual contact with Collserola tower, my flat is just in the middle of
Gracia, beside Plaza del Sol)

     Best,
     Jose