Re: 'martian' working, many thanks; now how to PPP on F13?

These are 3 signal-wire cables (RS 232 has 2 signal-wires plus ground). These standards read differential signals rather than plain levels and therefore allow to extend by about a factor 10 the maximal range that RS 232 can reach without a modem. That's certainly of great value in a computer center or even on a small size campus - but can in no way replace analog communications over any kilometers using a modem.

Jacques