Re: 'martian' working, many thanks; now how to PPP on F13?

Now that's interesting. 'wvdialconf' worked delightfully. And 'minicom' is also working well now, after I created the /dev/modem symlink.

I was shocked to see 'wvdialconf' set the serial port at 460800. Now I see why I saw it written that these modems might work at less latency than hardware modems. That's much higher than anything I ever saw before in serial (or virtual serial, in this case, I guess). RS-483 and other RS-232 derivatives do run at that speed and higher, though, so I shouldn't be too surprised, and 16550A does contain RS-483...hmmmmm...:-) Well, the time has largely past for such, but I can dream.

Unless something invisible's wrong with the hardware, I'll expect it to work now. Many thanks.

I might be motivated enough to make something simple and graphical. Anyone know a really simple toolkit? I do little programming these days, because I have come to resist delving into arcana, but perhaps I can find a toolkit to make it easy enough to be worth the while.

By the way, Marv, POTS means "Plain Old Telephone System" *grin*

J.E.B.
Jon,

Most of us use wvdial.  The setup is
# sudo wvdialconf
which should report finding the modem, and generate  /etc/wvdial.conf
Edit it with
# gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
removing the ;<  >   symbols while putting in your personal info.
And add two lines
Carrier check = no
# is needed for modems using /dev/pts/N ports

Subsequent dialout is with:
# wvdial

I'm not familiar with POTS

MarvS

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman