From: Jean-Christophe Etienne <jc2.etienne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/12/3
Subject: Re: Etienne France kernel 2.6.26-2-686
To: Jacques Goldberg <Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx>
Cc : Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>, discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jacques,

I have joined the wvdial output.

Thanks

jc

2009/12/3 Jacques Goldberg <Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx>:
> Jean-Christophe,
>

> 1-That you hear no sound is normal: slmodem does not support sound.
>

> 2-The wvdial output would definitely help, Here is how to get it. With
> computers, as you certainly know, there always exist more than one way to do
> something, Try this one:
>

>  Open a new command window (terminal, console)
>
>  Open an editor in that window,
>
>  Go to the wvdial window, launch wvdial and let it terminate (or stop doing
> anything, which is the case when the connection works well).
>
>  Bring your mouse cursor to the beginning of the part of the screen which
> you wish to copy.
>
>  Press the left button and move the mouse to the end of the part of the
> screen which etc...
>
>  What you want to copy is black.
>
>  Release the left button.
>
>  Move the cursor to the editor window.
>
>  Press the middle button of the mouse: the text is copied in the editor
> window.
>
>  Save the editor window with any name such as wvdial.output.txt   (try not
> to forget txt)
>
> Exit the editor
>
> Attach the file to your mail.
>

> Jacques
>

> Jean-Christophe Etienne wrote:
>
>> Hi Marv,
>>

>> 2009/12/3 Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>

>>> Jean
>>>
>>> RE: > As I wrote,  I 'm still using the 2.9.9 version
>>> From http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/ download the
>>> SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
>>> Under Linux unpack it with:
>>>  tar zxf SL*.tar.gz
>>> Move into the new folder
>>>  cd SLMODEMD.gcc4.1
>>> Look around
>>>  ls
>>>
>>> Acquire root status
>>>  su root
>>> If necessary, kill any running slmodemd with:
>>>  /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon stop
>>> cp slmodemd  /usr/sbin/slmodemd
>>>
>>> Check the version
>>>  slmodemd --version
>>> if should now show 2.9.11
>>>

>> OK
>>

>>> Activate the modem:
>>>  /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon start
>>>
>>> You should try an ordinary dialout before testing fax, setting up the
>>> /etc/wvdial.conf file as previously described,
>>> AND  adding  a line
>>> Carrier Check  =  no
>>> to /etc/wvdial.conf
>>>

>> DONE
>>
>> But, when I try :
>> # wvdial
>>
>> I get systematically NO DIALTONE (even I am connected on the analogic
>> line) and Icannot ear any modem sounds.
>>
>> I don't know how join to you the result of the command wvdial in a
>> file but I copy here the wvdial.conf file if could help :
>>
>> [Dialer Defaults]
>> Init1 = ATZ
>> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
>> Modem Type = Analog Modem
>> ISDN = 0
>> New PPPD = yes
> [...]
LCNPP01:~# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT0860905019
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT0860905019

And finally, stays in that state until I disconnect the line.