Re: Etienne France kernel 2.6.26-2-686

Jean

The sl-modem-daemon package you have installed is doing the modem
setup, as revealed by the
   /dev/ttySL0 -> /dev/pts/0

But set your country code properly with:
$ sudo gedit  /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon
replacing the default  USA with FRANCE.  Then do
#  /etc/init.d/ sl-modem-daemon stop
to free up the slmodemd helper.

Check its version with
# slmodemd --version
which should report 2.9.11 as contrasted to 2.9.9

If not 2.9.11
 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein, to replace your current
/usr/sbin/slmodemd with the current 2.9.11 version
again check with:
# slmodemd --version
for a 2.9.11 output

Then activate the modem with:
#  /etc/init.d/ sl-modem-daemon start
which is not automaticallly on bootup,

After modem activation, the modem should be detected by
# wvdialconf.

If so edit in your dialout info with
# gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
which deleting the symbols  <  >  ;
This step needn't be repeated.

Then try a dialout with;
#  wvdial

Note that this driver occassionally dies when loaded.
it can be refreshed with:

#  /etc/init.d/ sl-modem-daemon restart
followed again by the
# wvdial

MarvS

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package
Subsequently the modem should be found b be found by
.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.1.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	 slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

Subsequently the modem should be found b be found by