Re: snd-hda-intel problem Re: ANKUR,INDIA kernel 2.6.28-15-generic

Ankur

To stop a dial out session begun with wvdial, just
$ Cntr- C
Meaning the Control key + C key simultaneously

To stop slmodemd, also
$ Cntr- C
in the console in which it was activated.

Then without a reboot, you should  be able to again:
$ sudo slmodemd -c INDIA --alsa hw:0,6
and in a 2nd console (or TAB on the same console,
$ sudo wvdial

The sl-modem-daemon package which Ahmed now beneficially maintains
provides an slmodemd of version 2.9.11, and additionally scripts. They
are very useful for loading the correct modem driver, and running the
slmodemd activation command on bootup.
There are several drivers that slmodemd works with depending upon the
modem hardware: slusb, slamr, snd-intel8x0m, snd-atiixp-modem,
snd-via82xx-modem, and snd-hda-intel (combined audio + modem driver).

The snd-hda-intel driver is autoloaded to support audio, so this role
of the sl-modem-daemon is not necessary.  The only potential
troublesome issue is that the correct N for hw:0,N  of the modem
device may not always be chosen correctly.  This is the only reason
why I asked you to uninstall sl-modem-daemon, at least until function
was achieved with manual commands.

Now that we know the modem is basically OK, you can install it again.
If all is OK, after bootup, it will suffice to:
$ sudo ifconfig eth0 down
$ sudo ifconfig eth1 down
This is avoid failure of DNS service under the forthcoming PPP service,
as DNS defaults to the eth specifications, if they are active.

The slmodemd setup command will already have been run.
So all that will be necessary to dial out is:
$ sudo wvdial

The
error: alsa setup: cannot open playback device 'hw:0,6': Device or resource

remains puzzling, and Ahmed may ask you to run further tests about it.

MarvS