Re: Theory test

On 12/6/05, Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kenneth Kalmer wrote:

> >>I used to use 400 when I had 512 ingress, so I am amazed that works -
> >>but then you say ingress not the problem.
> >

> > I'll tone it down to see if it makes a difference, but I need to keep
> > it as close as possible to the 512 because the line gets very
> > congested...
>
> Yes 400 may be a bit far I used it because latency was important to me.
>
> Remember queueing traffic on the wrong end of a bottleneck is not ideal
> - if you want to run at 99% then the queue will only grow 1 packet for
> every 100 it passes - useless really. You need to be the one that
> decides which packets get dropped to have some influence over the
> sharing out of the bandwidth - too close to the limit and the dropping
> will just happen at the isp/teleco FIFO.

Understood, I didn't think the difference needs to be that big though...

> It's for the same reason that I am concerned about queue length - if
> it/they are too long then the other end won't know about the tail drop
> quickly enough as it will take time for the packets infront to clear. (I
> hacked esfq to head drop for this reason - though there are issues with
> it to do with imq that I haven't sorted yet. It seems to work and is
> stable for me, but could do with a bit more rigorous testing).

> >>Were it ingress I woud say have just one class with esfq for sharing out
> >>bulk traffic per user.
> >

> > I meant on traffic going to the network (egress) I attached an esfq to
> > each users' limit
>
> Hmm - maybe our ingresses and egresses are getting confused - when I say
> ingress I refer to traffic coming in on the bottleneck (internet) link -
> even if you are shaping it as egress on your lan facing interface.
>
> So to be clear the Problem is actually what I call ingress - the 512kbit
> traffic - yes?

Yip, I meant that I shape the internet link as network egress so to
speak... On the ingress side (IMQ) I'm playing with protocol
prioritization for things like DNS, SSL & TCP/ACK.

> >>I bet there are alot of overheads on that - and if you are pushing the
> >>rate close to limit like you are on ingress I suspect you are going
> >>overlimits. Even if you test with an upload and find a rate that seems
> >>OK it will all fall apart when the traffic consists of small packets.
> >

> > Amazingly not, we have the same line in the office, no shaping, and we
> > often sustain 110% capacity for very long periods of time. I believe
> > the provider uses very heavy compression on the line. Still, it's
> > blazingly fast compared to the traditional ADSL offerings available
> > here.
>
> Nice in some ways, but if compression is being used you effectivly have
> variable bandwidth depending on traffic type, which is going to be a
> pain to set a rate for. Are you sure it's compression and not a more
> generous sync rate - your modem should tell you - it would be
> interesting to know.

I don't have access to the modem, it's a Cisco router that they
control. However, I know the  physical capacity of the link from the
telco is 512kbps downstream, and I shape according to that.

> >>You have real ips aswell
>
> > The students are NATted, and firewalled to hell and back, so
> > filesharing is not a problem. They try, but who wouldn't...
> >

> Ahh OK.

:)

> Andy.
>
> PS - I am getting undeliverable mails when replying in this thread.

Same here, might be a list member...

--

Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth.kalmer@xxxxxxxxx