Re: Theory test

Kenneth Kalmer wrote:

ADSL, 512kbps down and 256kbps up. Parent for the internet traffic is
set at 500kbps, to make sure it becomes the bottleneck...

I used to use 400 when I had 512 ingress, so I am amazed that works - but then you say ingress not the problem.

I attach an esfq to each child HTB, but as you say it would be less
relevenat for egress...

Were it ingress I woud say have just one class with esfq for sharing out bulk traffic per user.

Do you know what type of connection you have eg pppoa/e or bridged ip
etc. I assume whatever it is ends up as atm cells?

Barely, as said above it's 512/256 VPN. Underneath the VPN it runs
PPPoE, but the service simulates a leased line, static ip's, the
works...

I bet there are alot of overheads on that - and if you are pushing the rate close to limit like you are on ingress I suspect you are going overlimits. Even if you test with an upload and find a rate that seems OK it will all fall apart when the traffic consists of small packets.

You have real ips aswell - so all your students can become p2p nodes = lots of small packets. I would consider using htb's mpu and overhead on each rate/ceil mpu with pppoe/atm is going to be 106 bytes - overhead I am not sure as it's not normal dsl - if it were you could patch tc/htb to do it perfectly. Often your atm level sync rate will be a bit higher than the advertised rate. If you can get your kit to tell you what that is it will be helpful.

Andy.