Theory test

Guys

Considering the festive season is upon us, thanks to everyone
contributing to the list and helping all the readers with your great
input! I don't want to mention names, I'll most certainly leave
someone out.

With this mail I'd like to test some theory on bandwidth management,
with my own successes and failures during the past year.

Sharing a link between 200 users

This has probably been my worst headache this year, since all the
trials go well but the implementation doesn't run as expected. So here
goes. We have one connection that is shared by 200 users. Mostly
students, so abuse is rampant. Each user should have an upper-limit
for speed, but the upper limit times the number of users exceed the
link capacity (over subscription). The speed must degrade as more and
more users are online, so that in peak times the link must still be
usable for each and every user, even if dreadfully slow.

Here is the implementation in theory:
Total internet capacity: X
Total number of users: 200
Minimum transfer rates: Y = X / 200
Maximum transfer rates: Z = 8 * Y
Over subscription rate: 1:50

I tried to achieve this, but below are my hiccups

-= HTB =-

Set the parent class for internet traffic to X, with 200 children.
Each child has a rate of Y, their totals equal X. Each child also has
a ceil of Z. This means that Z * 200 > X, hence the over subscription.

What happens here is that several people download at Z, but their
speed does not decrease when more people start accessing the internet.
They stay at Z, which is a problem.

-= HFSC =-

Tried playing around with the curves, but a lack of knowledge and
resources has hampered me from figuring out this one. In essence, the
same problem occurs, the link isn't shared equally between the active
users.

-= WRR =-

My favourite, but with the most disappointment at the moment... I can
see the weights are adjusted, and our trials have shown that the link
gets shared equally. However, in implementation it doesn't work that
way. The abusers can still go mad, and now at link capacity (X), no
longer at Z. This has caused some serious problems for non-abusive
users.

Can anyone advise me on how to get this done properly, please.
Somewhere I must be missing something small, and I don't want to paste
millions of lines of scripts in here until I know I've got the theory
right. The over subscription is the big problem, pure rate limiting
works like a charm in my other experiments.

Thanks in advance

--

Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth.kalmer@xxxxxxxxx