Re: Theory test

On Monday 05 December 2005 18:42, Kenneth Kalmer wrote:
> -= HTB =-
>
> Set the parent class for internet traffic to X, with 200 children.
> Each child has a rate of Y, their totals equal X. Each child also has
> a ceil of Z. This means that Z * 200 > X, hence the over subscription.

I'm using pretty much the same with success, although not for 200 users,
just 5. However, the bandwidth is considerably slower than what you are
likely to have (128kbit), so it may be just as critical.

> What happens here is that several people download at Z, but their
> speed does not decrease when more people start accessing the internet.
> They stay at Z, which is a problem.

This is a serious problem which should not happen. So assuming that there
is no error in your configuration, it's likely to be a HTB bug which
should be fixed.

> -= HFSC =-
>
> Tried playing around with the curves, but a lack of knowledge and
> resources has hampered me from figuring out this one.

Is there still no documentation for HFSC around?

> -= WRR =-

Sounds very interesting, unfortunately I didn't have the time to try this
one out. So I can't comment on the problems you have with it either. :-(

> Can anyone advise me on how to get this done properly, please.
> Somewhere I must be missing something small, and I don't want to paste
> millions of lines of scripts in here until I know I've got the theory
> right. The over subscription is the big problem, pure rate limiting
> works like a charm in my other experiments.

The theory sounds fine to me. About the sum of ceils being bigger than the
rate of the parent class, that's not really over subscription, but the
whole point of the ceil parameter. Over subscription to my understanding
would be the case if the guaranteed rates of classes would exceed the
parent class rate. But since you say that it sums up to X, the theory
sounds just fine to me.

I'd like to have a look at your HTB setup, since that is the scheduler I'm
most familiar with. If the script is too long, you could upload it
somewhere and post the URL to it. Or just cut out the repetitive parts if
you aren't using functions for that already anyway (I'm assuming that the
200 user classes are all created the same way).

Regards,
Andreas Klauer