Re: HTB - prio and rate

On Monday 05 December 2005 10:40, Mark Lidstone wrote:
> 	1) The sum of all HTB classes under a single HTB qdisc should
> add up to the maximum rate of the qdisc

A HTB qdisc does not have a rate; it's the classes that do. And it's not
all classes, but just parent-children relationship. The sum of the
children class rates should be the parent class rate. Maximum rate doesn't
sound right either; just to avoid misunderstandings, we're talking about
rate here, not ceil. Think of rate as 'this much bandwidth is guaranteed
at all times for this class (and divided between the children)', then you
should get it about right.

> 	2) HTB's prio is only used when 'borrowing' bandwidth from other
> classes under the same HTB qdisc, then classes with a given prio will
> only be able to "borrow" bandwidth when classes with a lower prio have
> nothing waiting

"classes under the same HTB qdisc" is too general. You have to respect
parent / child / sibling relationship as well. A class can't just borrow
from any other class. For example, if a class has same rate and ceil, it
won't borrow anything, simply because it doesn't have to. And if the
parent won't borrow, it's children won't borrow from outside classes
either, even though they are "under the same qdisc".

> Is this correct?

Getting there, I think.

Regards,
Andreas Klauer