Re: [LARTC] Re: TC Point & Click + XML

David Talbot wrote:

This is logically the way I've always thought of tc/iptables etc (It makes sense to me that you would want to configure them both in the same file).

On a Linux machine -- yes. However, doing XML schemas correctly means that it should describe one thing well, and only that one thing. I'd rather have an extensible schema that describes traffic control rules perfectly than one that also describes routing and filtering half-heartedly.

Of course the example above means alot of things are implied such as the average packet size and many of the other parts of TC that are "unknown" (such as quantum, I still can't find and documentation as to what It does, I just know it has to be 1514b). In cases such as the one mentioned above, we could create "semi-intelligent defaults" but with the ability for the person to define it if they really want to.

Quantum is the unit of an individual packet and should be set to the MTU + the ethernet header size (14 bytes).

--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed