Re: [LARTC] 2.2 vs 2.4 for TC

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 01:51:15PM -0500, Nikolai Vladychevski wrote:
> > Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > A while ago I saw a message saying that the TC features in 2.2 aren't
> > > very mature, and I'm wondering what I'd be missing out on if I stayed
> > > with 2.2 instead of using 2.4 now.
> >
> > download 2.4.6
> > download 2.2.lastest
> >
> > make a diff on net/sched directory and see the difference. You would
> > miss like  2000 lines of bugfixes if you stay with 2.2, but anyway 2.4.6
> > is not yet stable with "tc features", so if it works for you dont move
> > it until 2.4.15 or so ...
>
> Are you saying that the QoS traffic control features have stability
> problems, or is this just general 2.4 instability?

what I have listened and what my friends say general 2.4 is not very
stable. What I have seen myself is that 2.4 works ok for me, but since
the change logs for 2.4.x are full of "network update" stuff, i still
not very sure it is stable.

About QoS traffic .... I just had posted about some problems in CBQ
code, even if I had incorretly set it up, it shouldn't freeze kernel, so
, as long as you understand it well and use the tc command correctly, it
will work for you. But what I am trying to do is to release it for
production where the end users would point & click for filter creation &
bandwidth definition, so I think it will be an adventure, but I am
accepting the risks... after all.... it's free code....

Regards
Nikolai